Building Health Naturally
with CHRIS ROLSTON BSc ND
naturopathic doctor in general practice
Off Whyte Chiropractic & Massage Therapy Clinic
7516 Gateway Blvd (Next to Athletica)
Canada, T6E 6E8
Dr. Rolston is currently accepting new patients.
780-448-6040 - Dr. Rolston's office
780-430-5909 - reception for Off Whyte Chiropractic Clinic
780-665-7283 - fax
[please note that the numbers in the current Edmonton Yellow Pages are incorrect]
By appointment only
- Monday and Wednesday: 8 am - 4 pm.
- Tuesday and Thursday: 11 am - 6:30 pm.
- Friday: 8 am - 1 pm.
- Comprehensive first visit (90 -120 mins): $180
- Follow-up visits (30-90 min): at rate of $160 per hour
- Laboratory testing: varies
- I am currently offering consultations only - both in office and over the phone.
- I will not be offering IV therapies, chelation treatments, histamine or vitamin B shots until I announce this on my website. At present, I don't know if/when I will be offering these services again.
- All laboratory testing services (private and local through DynaLife) are currently available and are an integral part of my practice.
Note to Patients - New and Existing
My goal with every patient is to act as a compassionate and knowledgeable health coach to support and inspire you on your journey towards health and wellness. As part of this practice, I emphasize that an accurate diagnosis be established first to ensure that all treatments offered are oriented towards treating the true underlying cause(s) and are serving your best interests. This also ensures that you don't waste time or money on ineffective supplements and treatment plans.
If you have never seen me before I invite you to read through my website to see how I work before making an appointment. My approach to patient care, my general methods and investigation practices are all listed here in detail to help inform prospective patients who are looking for a qualified naturopathic doctor (ND) to work with.
I prefer to work with those people who are sincerely interested in health and natural medicine; who are self-motivated, responsible, committed, and ready & willing to take steps towards improving their health and well-being.
If your interest is superficial or if you are only curious about natural medicine then I would encourage you to find a qualified ND through referral or through the AANP website (Alberta Association of Naturopathic Practitioners):
About Naturopathic Medicine
WHAT IS NATUROPATHIC MEDICINE?
Naturopathic medicine is a unique and comprehensive approach to improving health and treating illness. Focusing on prevention, and using natural substances and treatments, naturopathic doctors support and stimulate the body's ability to restore, establish, and maintain health.
The primary goal of naturopathic treatment is to address the cause of illness, rather than merely treat and suppress symptoms.
NATUROPATHIC MEDICINE'S SIX PRINCIPLES OF HEALING
These are the fundamental principles that distinguish naturopathic medicine from other medical approaches.
First do no harm
Therapies should stimulate the body to heal in an effective yet gentle manner.
The healing power of nature
The body has the inherent ability to heal itself. The physician's role is to facilitate and augment this process.
Identify and treat the cause
Illness does not occur without cause. Causes may occur on many levels. One must evaluate fundamental underlying causes on all levels and treat or remove these before a person can recover completely from illness.
Treat the whole person
Health and disease are conditions of the whole organism involving complex interactions between physical, mental, emotional, spiritual, genetic, environmental and social factors. All of these factors must be taken into account.
The doctor as teacher
The doctor's major role is to educate, inspire and encourage patients to take responsibility for their own health. The origin of the word doctor is in the latin: 'docere' which means 'to teach'.
Prevention is always the best 'cure'.
WHAT IS A NATUROPATHIC DOCTOR?
A licensed* Naturopathic doctor (ND) is a medically-trained primary healthcare provider specializing in natural medicines. Unlike most alternative health care practitioners practicing today (herbalists, homeopaths etc.), ND's have standard medical training in all of the conventional medical sciences and diagnostics (anatomy, physiology, pathology, pharmacology, biochemistry, histology, immunology, microbiology, genetics, clinical & laboratory diagnostics, pharmacology, gastroenterology, endocrinology, oncology, cardiology, pediatrics, orthopedics, gynecology, urology, neurology, minor surgery etc.) and thus have the authority to perform physical exams, make diagnoses, order medical testing and interpret their results. Most significantly, ND's have the most extensive and in-depth training in the natural therapies currently available today.
Naturopathic doctors are the only health-care providers currently trained in the use of both conventional and natural medicines, and are thus able to utilize the strengths of each system to better serve their patients. This understanding also enables ND's to lead all other healthcare professionals in their awareness of the interactions between conventional and natural medicines and in thoughtful applications of these two healthcare modalities. They are indeed the doctors of the future and represent the integration of the best of conventional and alternative healthcare.
Naturopathic doctors are the only medically-trained specialists in natural medicines.
A licensed Naturopathic doctor's education begins with a 4-year undergraduate degree with all of the regular medical school pre-requisites. This is followed by a four-year Naturopathic medical school education that includes all of the same basic medical sciences as conventional medical schooling. In addition to the standard medical curriculum, the Naturopathic physician is required to complete four years of in-depth training in alternative therapies, including clinical nutrition, homeopathic medicine, botanical medicine, naturopathic philosophy and applications, hydrotherapy, environmental medicine, cleansing and detoxification, psychology and counselling, and naturopathic manipulation and bodywork therapies. Naturopathic education differs from conventional medicine in its focus on wholistic and non-toxic approaches to therapy with a strong emphasis on disease prevention and optimizing wellness.
A Naturopathic doctor must complete rigorous professional board exams for licensure in their province/state or jurisdiction as a primary care physician. As licensed medical practitioners, Naturopathic doctors can order routine blood-work through the local medical laboratories (just as MD's can), and often make use of private specialized laboratories for more in-depth investigations into patients' health.
*IMPORTANT TO KNOW: Because Naturopathic Medicine is not yet licensed or regulated in Alberta it is important to distinguish between qualified Naturopathic doctors who have completed an intensive four-year medical program at an accredited naturopathic medical school and passed provincial medical board exams from those who have completed only a short-term course in natural medicine - most often by correspondence (mail-order). Look up Naturopathic doctors in the Yellow Pages - licensed practitioners are those listed under the Alberta Association of Naturopathic Practitioners (see the website: www.naturopathic-alberta.com)
Naturopathic medicine is gentle and versatile enough to benefit virtually anyone with any condition - this includes those who consider themselves healthy. Optimal health is much more than the absence of illness! The Naturopathic doctor educates and advises with the goal of improving and optimizing digestive function, nutrient absorption, elimination, detoxification, immunity, vital organ function and overall vitality.
Naturopathic doctors all practice differently...
WHAT IS DR. ROLSTON'S APPROACH?
Dr. Rolston's primary passion is to explore and investigate the potential underlying factors that are negatively influencing a person's health, to discover what those are through knowledgeable interpretation of symptoms and appropriate testing methods, and to treat based on a thorough and rigorous understanding of these causes and how they relate to the optimal functioning of the human body. This may sound like common sense - and it is - but it is not the way that the conventional medical system and most alternative practitioners operate.
Dr. Rolston maintains that a thorough understanding of how the body works, and how the body can 'go wrong' under certain negative influences (dietary, environmental, mental/emotional, physical, spiritual) is an essential component to a doctor's ability to properly assess and interpret a patient's symptoms. Dr. Rolston spends much time keeping current on the essential mechanisms of nutrition, biochemistry, digestion, hormonal issues and endocrinology, immunology and how they relate to human physiology and pathology. This knowledge helps him to treat the true causes behind patient's health conditions, as he can see the patterns in a patient's (often confusing) symptoms that make sense to him. In a world where the answers to many health conditions are unknown, he enjoys furthering his knowledge and understanding so that he can help these people find answers and improve their health. His skilful patient assessments and diagnostic testing protocols enable him to find answers for many who have been unable to find them. He spends much time researching to make sure that his knowledge is current and that his testing methods and treatments are cutting-edge and effective.
Dr. Rolston's initial emphasis in practice is to utilize advanced diagnostic testing to investigate into the cause(s) of each patient's unique condition. Since a proper and accurate diagnosis is the most important starting place for any patient, he utilizes leading-edge diagnostic laboratory testing to help achieve this as accurately as is presently possible. Only after an accurate diagnosis is in place can effective treatments begin! An accurate diagnosis forms the foundation of the patient's treatment plan and assures both doctor and patient that they are going in the right direction. Such a starting point then enables Dr. Rolston to educate the patient on the true causes underlying the patient's particular health condition and to make very relevant and specific dietary, nutritional and supplement recommendations.
Above all, he is a sensitive and understanding health professional who acts as a health coach. He also has a strong interest in psychology and the deeper mental/emotional/spiritual issues that can influence health on many levels. He enjoys being a supportive voice of balance and reason and a skilled health counsellor for those looking for answers to their health issues.
Dr. Rolston's clinical specialties include:
- hormonal health issues - especially menopausal complaints and PMS
- thyroid and adrenal disorders with in-depth testing and treatments
- digestive disorders - including, dysbiosis, yeast overgrowth syndromes, parasitic infections, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), ulcers, diarrhea, constipation, inflammatory bowel disorders (Crohn's and ulcerative colitis), small-intestine overgrowth, malabsorption syndromes, gallbladder problems, diverticulosis.
- detoxification and cleansing - chemical and heavy metal removal protocols.
- immune disorders including chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, allergies, chronic viral infections.
- neurotransmitter imbalances - including sleep disorders, depression, anxiety, insomnia.
Dr. Rolston believes that it is important for people to understand their condition and their treatments, and takes the time to educate each patient accordingly. He has prepared detailed information for patients to take home, read and share with family. This enhances their motivation for change and inspires his patients to take charge of their own health and healing.
HOW DR. ROLSTON CAN HELP YOU
Each person is unique with very different environmental, dietary, genetic, lifestyle mental/emotional and spiritual factors influencing his or her state of health. Dr. Rolston takes these important facts into account when he meets with you. He thoroughly investigates your case to ensure that the root cause(s) of your particular health situation are identified and addressed. He makes certain that you understand your options and designs a comprehensive treatment plan to meet your specific and individual needs. Programs are tailored to the person's present condition. This ensures that patients receive treatments addressing the most vital aspects of their health in ways that are as simple or as involved as patient and doctor determine to be reasonable.
NATURAL THERAPIES OFFERED BY DR. ROLSTON
- herbal medicine - contains powerful and effective constituents that stimulate healing without the side effects of drugs. Organic herbs are recommended whenever possible.
- dietary counselling and clinical nutrition - Diet provides the foundation for health, and as such, Dr. Rolston has very specialized dietary recommendations for a wide variety of health conditions, with a special emphasis on specialized nutrition for different digestive disorders. He has researched the 'how's and why's' behind these recommendations, and shares these details with patients to help them understand how these particular dietary choices affect their specific condition. He has spent much time investigating the immunologic and biochemical basis of food allergies, food sensitivities and food intolerances and can offer testing options and specific protocols for testing them yourself at home. He has dramatically increased his knowledge base in this arena during his own illness and recovery.
- nutritional supplements - involves the use of vitamins, minerals, enzymes, tissue extracts, glandulars, pre/probiotics and other specialty supplements to promote optimal health and the regeneration of tissues. Dr. Rolston recommends only the highest-quality supplements available. He carries a selection of professional-line high-quality supplements at his clinic.
- homeopathic medicine - minute amounts of natural substances used to stimulate the body's self-healing abilities. Homeopathics are often used to complement other treatment modalities, and are the primary treatments used for infants and young children.
- lifestyle counselling - nutritional, environmental, physical, mental/emotional and spiritual factors that influence and affect health are assessed and recommendations are made to improve the patient's relationships with these influences.
- detoxification and cleansing - improving overall health by way of removing accumulated toxicity. Cleansing and detoxification can target organs and systems (digestive tract, liver, kidney/urinary, lymphatic, skin) or be aimed at the entire body.
- chemical and heavy metal cleansing therapies - the best known detoxification agents are used as part of a more comprehensive detoxification program. Toxicity is a known influence on many chronic diseases, and eliminating these influences can restore health and immunity. Cleansing is often a starting point in the treatment of many chronic conditions - especially chronic skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis.
- treatments for digestive imbalances and disorders. The great majority of health conditions arise from disturbances in the digestive tract, and this system deserves a special priority in managing and treating health conditions of all types. This area has become an area of special interest and expertise for Dr. Rolston. He has devoted much time to reading and researching in this area, and has detailed information relating to the testing, treatment and management of various digestive conditions. Treatments may involve dietary changes, nutritional supplements, tissue extracts, immune modulators, pre/probiotics, lifestyle recommendations and cleansing. His detailed understanding of digestive issues and their relation to relevant clinical signs and symptoms allows him to interpret much from a patient's symptoms and history where few can. Testing (when available) is often strongly recommended to determine the exact nature of the imbalance and treatments are based on what is found, which ensures that patients don't waste time or money on ineffective treatment plans. Dr. Rolston has consulted with specialists all over the world to compile the most effective available treatment protocols for these conditions. He has extensive clinical experience and expertise in interpreting specialized laboratory assessments for many digestive disorders, and knows which tests are most likely to be useful.
- natural hormone therapy - Dr. Rolston has spent many years researching and applying natural hormone therapies in his practice. He is considered to be an expert in the field of natural hormone therapy by his colleagues and has extensive knowledge of hormonal interactions and the treatment of hormonal disorders. He consults with many specialists and advises other doctors on their uses.
- brain neurotransmitter modulation therapy - Many mood disorders have their root in brain neurotransmitter imbalances. Dr. Rolston uses specialized neurotransmitter testing to identify the imbalance(s) and a thorough understanding of amino acids, hormonal modulation and nutrition to correct these imbalances. Dr. Rolston applies his knowledge of neurotransmitters to help many patients wean off of conventional anti-depressant medications in a safe, effective and manageable manner.
- allergy elimination, cleansing and fasting diets - specialized diets are a necessary part of treatment, and they are chosen based on the patient's individual health condition.
- immune modulation and support - Dr. Rolston's interest in this area has helped him to discover ways of supporting this complex and intricate system for many different conditions that require immune enhancement and/or modulation. Specific immune protocols with well-explained rationales are given for auto-immune conditions, weak or deficient immune systems, inflammatory conditions, allergies, cancer and for acute and chronic infections of all types.
- intelligent, well-informed advice on health! - Dr. Rolston is continually updating his knowledge by keeping current with the latest research in his field. He only recommends treatments that make sense based on experience, existing knowledge, clinical studies and common-sense. His breadth of knowledge allows him to help you make informed decisions as to which treatment options are best for you.
When proper consideration and care have been invested in finding the deeper health issues, more specific and efficient treatment programs can be implemented.
LABORATORY AND DIAGNOSTIC TESTING
Naturopathic doctors' thorough training in the conventional medical sciences allows them to order and interpret the standard blood and serum tests used by conventional doctors. ND's are also able to take advantage of other specialized and high-tech laboratory tests useful for investigating more deeply into the possible causes of disease.
Dr. Rolston specializes in advanced testing of many systems and health areas- including digestive, hormonal, metabolic, detoxification, toxicity testing and nutritional status markers. Advanced testing can uncover many imbalances that are overlooked by conventional medical approaches and less-accurate alternative testing. Many patients come to Dr. Rolston because they have failed to find answers elsewhere.
Dr. Rolston offers the following leading-edge laboratory testing services:
- comprehensive digestive health analysis (CDSA's)
- comprehensive parasite, bacteria and candida/yeast testing - full microbiology panels
- gut immunology assessment
- leaky gut assessment
- comprehensive food allergy testing (IgG & IgE)
- comprehensive thyroid and adrenal function testing
- hormonal testing - male & female comprehensive panels
- salivary hormone testing - of all types
- toxic (heavy) metal assessment - via 6 hour urine collection
- comprehensive cardiovascular risk assessment
- liver detoxification profiles
- comprehensive vitamin, mineral, amino acid, antioxidant, and essential fatty acid/fat metabolic profiles
- oxidative stress analysis
- metabolic analysis profile
- organic acids testing
- genetic testing for immune function, cardiovascular health, detoxification, and bone health.
- brain neurotransmitter testing
- functional medicine testing of all types
- conventional medical blood screens through local medical laboratories
- PCR/IgG/IgM/DNA testing for viruses, mycoplasma, atypical organisms
- environmental and occupational toxicity testing
- AMAS cancer screening
Laboratory Services Provided through:
DynaLife; Genova Diagnostics; Doctor's Data; Rocky Mountain Analytical; Diagnos-Techs; Metametrix; Rhein Labs; Meridian Valley; NeuroImmunology Labs; NeuroScience; Great Plains Laboratory; Accu-Chem and Oncolab.
FACT: Finding the cause of your health condition and implementing appropriate treatments based on this information saves you money and gets you better results.
This is why Dr. Rolston encourages appropriate laboratory investigations be done when indicated - for YOUR sake!
DR. ROLSTON OFFERS EFFECTIVE NATUROPATHIC TREATMENTS FOR THE FOLLOWING HEALTH CONDITIONS:
- constipation & diarrhea
- candida and other yeast overgrowth
- small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO)
- irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn's and ulcerative colitis)
- gas and bloating
- gallbladder stones/pain
- ulcers, gastritis
- liver problems/infections
- chronic fatigue syndrome
- allergies - food and inhalant
- atherosclerosis and heart disease
- high cholesterol
- diabetes - especially adult-onset (type II)
- auto-immune conditions
- chronic viral infections
- menopausal complaints
- fibrocystic breast disease
- uterine fibroids
- yeast infections
- hormonal imbalances
- heavy menstrual bleeding
- bladder infections
- menstrual cramps
- thyroid problems
- adrenal problems
- all female and male hormonal problems/imbalances
- stress-related conditions
- depression, weaning off anti-depressant medications
- insomnia/sleep disorders
- poor concentration/focus
- ear and throat infections
- chemical and heavy metal toxicity
- neurological conditions -Parkinsons, MS
- cancer - supporting immune and nutritional therapies, diets, well-researched therapy options
Naturopathic treatments offer powerful medicines that promote healing in ways that are gentle, safe and natural to the body
OFFICE VISITS - WHAT TO EXPECT
Typically, the initial consultation takes 1.5-2 hours. During this first visit, an in-depth review of your medical history, diet, present and past symptoms, lifestyle and general health concerns takes place.
All new patients must complete a comprehensive intake form before their first appointment. This is an extensive questionnaire that thoroughly covers physical symptoms, medical & treatment history as well as many diet and lifestyle factors. Our receptionist will email or fax an intake form to new patients that is to be completed prior to the first scheduled appointment. The completed intake form can be faxed back to our office at 780-665-7283.
Additional supplemental questionnaires must also be completed for patients who are:
- pre-menopausal woman with hormonal issues
- post-menopausal woman interested in natural hormone therapy
- dealing with thyroid conditions.
Patients with long-standing and complex health issues (especially digestive disorders) can expect that specialized laboratory testing will be recommended. This is a logical and very necessary step in many cases to determine the true nature of the patient's health condition. This investigation enables exact causes to be found and effective treatment protocols to be implemented.
As part of the initial assessment, Dr. Rolston will also review any bloodwork that has been done through conventional medical testing. He will often recommend further testing be done through the patient's family doctor if such testing would be advantageous for the patient.
The goals of the initial consultation are to:
- determine the underlying causes of your chief complaint(s)
- assess your overall health and vitality
- identify the most important health issue(s)
- go over the results of any previously ordered laboratory tests
- discuss further testing that may be necessary
- discuss treatment options
- tailor a treatment plan to meet your specific needs.
Follow-up visits are extremely important for monitoring patient progress, modifying treatment protocols, going over test results and considering further testing. Follow-up appointments may be recommended anywhere from days to months after the initial consultation, depending on the nature of the health condition.
Check with your human resources department. Most private health insurance plans now cover services from licensed Naturopathic Doctors! Currently there is no coverage for services from Naturopathic doctors under Alberta Health Care.
WHO IS DR. ROLSTON?
Dr. Rolston's journey into his own health 20 years ago led him early on to study meditation, bodywork, energy work, nutrition, whole-foods cooking, fasting, cleansing and detoxification. He spent a year studying holistic therapies at Heartwood Institute in California before moving to Oregon in 1996 to study at the National College of Naturopathic Medicine (NCNM) in Portland. There he received his training in naturopathic therapies. In 2000 he graduated at the top of his class with the highest academic distinction available.
Starting a meditation practice in his early 20's (that he continues today) has provided him with a means to explore into the deeper aspects of self and spirituality and to discover his true purposefulness. He credits this awareness practice as one thing that has impacted his life very positively and has allowed him to see the truer meanings within life's challenges.
His earlier education in electrical engineering proved to be an asset. This background gave him a strong analytical mindset for problem-solving, which he now applies to medicine. He has always had an interest in how things 'really work', and a good Naturopathic physician functions as a "medical detective" in order to discover the true causes of illness.
He has run a private general family practice in Edmonton since 2000, with a special interest in treating a wide range of common conditions that are seldom addressed from a truly rational and common-sense perspective through conventional medicine.
Dr. Rolston believes that each health challenge provides an opportunity to learn something valuable about the self. He believes they have the potential to push us to expand, learn and grow and become more conscious of who we are and what we are really here for - they are great 'wake-up' calls. He sees illness as a message from a higher intelligence inside telling us that something is out of balance and needs to be addressed.
Dr. Rolston has been a member of the AANP (Alberta Association of Naturopathic Practitioners) since 2000.
- www.CAND.ca - Canadian Association of Naturopathic Doctors
- www.naturopathic-alberta.com - Alberta Association of Naturopathic
- www.cnme.org - Council on Naturopathic Medical Education
- www.ccnm.edu - Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine
- www.ncnm.edu - National College of Naturopathic Medicine
- www.bastyr.edu - Bastyr University
- www.scnm.edu - Southwest College of Naturopathic Medicine and Health
- www.bridgeport.edu - University of Bridgeport College of Naturopathic Medicine
- www.binm.org - Boucher Institute of Naturopathic Medicine